Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dogfish Head Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew


Brewed by: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Brewery Location: Milton, DE

Style: Imperial Stout
ABV: 9.00%

Ah, yes. Who could forget this classic 1970’s album? I was fortunate enough to pick up a bottle of brew inspired by it, which was designed by Sam Calagione, of Dogfish Head Brewery. I didn’t really know what to expect from this beer, but I must say, as I am with most of Dogfish’s brews, I was pleasantly surprised.

I poured into a traditional pint glass, and was greeted with an incredibly dark appearance. This bad boy has one creamy head, which hangs around for the majority of the drink. There is a decent amount of lacing for a stout.

Upon first smell, I picked up on some serious chocolate and caramel notes. There were hints of coffee as well, but it smelled a bit sweet, which I believe is due to the honey undertones that were present. I’m not the biggest fan of stouts in the world, but I was pretty excited to tear into this jazz classic.

The taste followed suit with the smell rather beautifully. It tastes a bit boozy, and gives off some serious chocolate, molasses, and honey flavors. You can certainly taste the 9.00% ABV, that’s for sure. There isn’t anything particularly outstanding about the taste, but it is simply a very solid tasting, dark as night imperial stout.

I am very impressed with this brew, and would definitely purchase it again if given the opportunity. Being a limited release, I definitely wish I bought more than one bottle. It is a great tribute to an absolutely groundbreaking album.

No comments:

Post a Comment