Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stone Ruination IPA


Brewed by: Stone Brewing Company
Brewery Location: Escondido, CA

Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 7.70%

I have been waiting for a beer like this for quite a long time. India pale ales are absolutely my favorite style of beer, and it is my opinion that the hoppier and more bitter they are, the better. I dug into this beer with fairly high expectations, and was not disappointed in the slightest.

I poured into a traditional pint glass, and poured the expected amber color. I had a bit of a strong pour on this brew, and was greeted with a very thick head, and a phenomenal amount of lacing throughout the drink. It has a very deep look to it.

Upon first smell, I was barraged with an aroma of different smelling hops. There was certainly an upfront pine smell, followed by a bit of citrus…perhaps lemon, or grapefruit? Either way this bad boy smelled like it was going to pack a punch.

Upon first sip, there was a wave of pine and malt flavors. The citrus that was apparent in the smell makes an appearance in the taste as well, which was very pleasant. The most noticeable thing about the taste, however, is the beautiful bitterness. At 100+ IBUs, it seemed a bit overwhelming at first, but it settled into a very nice finish, with serious drinkability.

This is absolutely one of my favorite IPAs, and I could certainly drink it on a regular basis. However, for those not familiar with the more aggressive IPAs, be warned, because this is one bitter mother, and everything else will taste bland for a while after!

No comments:

Post a Comment