Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Brew Backer

Like most college students, on weekends I would scour the campus looking for the loudest and most rambunctious parties. The cheaper I had to pay to enter a party, the better. All you can drink Pabst Blue Ribbon for five bucks? I'm there in a second. This is how the first two years of my college experience unfolded. Pabst Blue Ribbon, Natural Ice, Miller Life and Budweiser tightened their grip on my weekends. As I sit here typing this, sipping on my Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, I realize that I probably wouldn't have gotten along with two-year ago me. Beer was simply a material to get drunk on, and I had absolutely little to no appreciation for it.

A friend of mine brought home a six-pack about a year ago of a beer that I had never heard of. He offered me one and I gratefully accepted. I began to drink it like I would a cheaper beer, and had to stop. The flavor was absolutely delicious. I slowed down, and began to savor the drink. The rest, as they say, is history.

This blog is aimed at twenty-somethings who do not realize that there is a whole other world of beer out there. There are brewers who are truly passionate about their craft, and pull long hours seven days a week in order to provide their customers with the best tasting beer that they can. There are homebrewers who tamper like mad scientists in order to create a unique beer for their family and friends. And there are groups of younger people who are starting to realize that cheap American lagers are an embarassment to the true world of brewing.

I will be providing beer reviews, brewery reviews/trip recaps, homebrewing tips and whatever else crosses my mind on this adventure. More and more people are beginning to discover this new world, and I will be doing my best to encourage many others.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment