Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dogfish Head Raison D'etra


Brewed by: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Brewery Location: Milton, DE

Style: Belgian Strong Ale
ABV: 8.00%

As a craft-head, I am very much attracted to small breweries that are able to tell a story of success, which is why I am such a supporter and buyer of Dogfish Heads craft beer. I have tried a ton of their beer, generally enjoying the majority of them. The Raison D'Etra was the exception, however.

The Raison D'Etra pours a deep mahogany, with minimal head and very little lacing.  The beer has a very deep, bold smell consisting of fruit and alcohol, along with a bit of oatmeal and smokiness. I found the smell to be rather overpowering, and a bit boozy.

Upon first sip, all of my suspicions resulting from the smell were confirmed. It has a very sweet taste, with the taste of alcohol and raisons at the forefront. It has a fairly medium body.

What pains me the most about the Raison D'Etra is that it is just so close to being a fantastic beer. If Dogfish Head would have just toned down the overpowering sweet and fruity flavor, and let them complement the less prominent dark, nutty flavors, it would be a bit more drinkable and would have appealed to me more.

I'm glad I tried it, because it is a very unique beer.  Based on their other beer however, I know Dogfish Head can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment