Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Left Hand Brewery Milk Stout


Brewed by: Left Hand Brewing Company
Brewery Location: Longmont, CO

Style: Milk Stout
ABV: 5.20%

Looking through my local distributor, the Left Hand Milk Stout immediately caught my attention. I had been drinking a lot of hop-heavy beers, and was looking for a decent darker beer. I'd never heard of the Left Hand Brewing Company before, and on a whim decided to purchase a six-pack, and couldn't be happier with my decision.

The Milk Stout pours a very dark color, with a hint of redness. I was a bit surprised at the amount of head, which was a consistent 1/2", and left a decent amount of lacing as I progressed through the beer.

This beer just absolutely smells dark. I was also able to pick up on a nutty, almost earthy smell. There was a hint of sweetness in the smell, almost chocolate-like, which set my expectations fairly high for a decent stout, which appeals to both ends of the palate.

The beer tastes very milky, and fairly sweet. I was immediately reminded of a cup of coffee, with hints of caramel and vanilla throughout. It is a very full-bodied beer, and frankly it is a bit hard to believe that the ABV only clocks in at 5.20%.

I am very impressed by the smoothness of this beer, which made it incredibly enjoyable, especially since I purchased it completely on a whim. Give Left Hand Brewery a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment